Thursday, June 26, 2008

God is good

I know they say teachers shouldn't have favorites, but this week has definitely been my favorite! The kids have been so sweet and so much fun. Along with our Bible story, we share the gospel on the last day in the class. Pray that God would use us to speak to these children. I have found a few that I wouldn't mind putting in my suitcase on July 22! We were playing outside yesterday with a huge inflatable volleyball that we brought and the kids were so excited they didn't know what to do with themselves. They were all running around sqealing and acting goofy. One little girl came up to me and grabbed my hand and gave me a high five and said, "Muzungu, bitse?" ("White person, what's up?") I laughed so hard because she was being so goofy and of course, when one of them found something to make me laugh, they all started doing it. It was hilarious.

Yesterday after school, we stayed in an empty classroom until our Bible study started. A little girl named Umadi came and hung out with us while we rested. I gave her stickers, aga chupa (an empty water bottle), and drew pictures with her. I could bring her home. Even though we don't speak the same language, we had so much fun together. Smiles and laughs are the same in every language. Theophile (the headmaster at the school who has been translating for us) had his wife cook us lunch (rice, chips, goat, red sauce and fanta). It was good, but we had to eat SO much! Each day at the school, Theophile and the other teachers buy us a bunch (sometimes 2) of bananas. I think we eat more bananas than the gorillas here in Rwanda.

Bible study went really well yesterday. We studied the Lord's prayer and the women were really encouraged by the study. I, too, have been learning a lot from the study that we are leading with this group. Our God is big and He is GOOD!

Today was our last day in the third class. It's amazing how time flies by here. I'm realizing that this trip is going by so quickly. Pray that we will continue to take every opportunity that God presents us with. We do not yet know if Mary is well enough to translate for us tonight. We may or may not be having Bible study this evening. She is out of the hospital, but continue to pray for her recovery.

Pray for the rest of our week. There is a possibility that we might go with Kezia (Esron's wife) and Bernedine (another women's leader of the church to visit women who are in the hospital). This is a ministry of the church that takes place every Friday. Bernedine goes to pray for them and take them food. (As a nutrition major, I am really excited about this!) We have not received "authorization" (permission) from Esron to go yet, but we will find out this evening if that is okay. Pray for that.

Also, Saturday is an international 'work day' and all activities are cancelled until 12 so that people can work on public things throughout the country (landscaping, cleaning, building, repairing...). Cars are not even allowed on teh street. Of course, this means that our Saturday Bible study will be cancelled. Pray that God will use that time as He wills.

I think that is all. Thank you all for your emails this week. They have been so encouraging. We feel your prayers. God has been SO good this week in giving me peace and joy!

May you also have unexplainable peace and joy!
Love you all!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I have a huge grin on my face after reading this, Katy! I can just picture you hanging out with those kids pouring God's love out on them through the simple act of drawing pictures with one. I smile just knowing that God is smiling too!

I'll continue praying that your time there will continue to be productive and that His Voice and direction is heard clearly by you and Melissa. And I pray for the hearts of people there to be open and sensitive to Him as well as they are drawn to Him through you guys.

Much love and many hugs, Natalie

Carol said...

Katy -
You made me laugh when I read your latest update. While I've been gone to W.Virginia, I've not been able to get on the internet very often so, I've missed reading your entries. Your story about the little girl giving you a high five was precious. Kids say the darndest things, even in Africa.

It has been so sweet to hear your voice on the phone. You sound happy and content. That makes me happy as well.

Thinking of you all day long,
Mom