Monday, June 9, 2008

"Good morning, teacher"

We went to church in Remera (at Esron's church) on Sunday. It hit me that I was in Rwanda when all the little ones ran over to us with wide open arms for hugs and then wanted to sit in our laps, touch our skin and hair... Needless to say, I was fighting back tears there for a minute. Church lasted 4 hours, lots of singing and dancing, and a little preaching. Nobody in Africa is too young to dance. When we got back to the Ligue, we took a nap (didn't get much sleep the night before), and then woke up and planned our lessons for this week. We took quite a hike and went to eat at a different pizza place with Sarah and Sylvan.

We started teaching in the school today (8:30-12). I think it went as well as it could have. This week (Mon- Thurs) we are teaching the youngest class. We taught days 1 and 2 of creation, a memory verse, and some english words. At 10, they have snacktime and recess until 11. Recess is madness- dirt, sweat, and tears... and then they do excercises before they go back in. After recess, we went outside and played a game with the class and reviewed the things we taught this morning. There are 5 classes at the school and we'll spend each week in a different class.

When we got here, we realized we were going to have to be very pro-active in organizing the Bible studies. This has been a challenge, but God has really worked out some neat things!
We talked to Mary (a women who works at the Ligue) this afternoon about doing a Bible study at the Ligue. She was very excited and was going to get a group of widows to meet on Thursdays.

So this is our typical schedule for each week:
Sunday: church (usually in Remera, with Esron, but we may go visit some others)
Mon-Thurs, 8:30-12: teaching at the school
Wednesday, 3-5: leading a women's small group on 'Christian maturity'
Thursday, 5:30-7: leading a women's Bible study at the Ligue (basic Bible doctrines)
Friday, 9-2: working with Dorcas project and leading Bible study there
Saturday, 9-1: leading women's Bible study in Remera (basic Bible doctrines)

On the afternoons that we have off, we will be following up with children who are currently part of the One27 scholarship program and looking for new ministry opportunities.

Again, thanks for your emails, comments, and PRAYERS!! Keep praying. Love you all.
-katy

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Wow Katy, sounds like a pretty busy schedule! It sounds as though God is already at work in great ways!

I had tears in my eyes as I was reading how the kids ran over to you wanting hugs and to be held. What an amazing picture of being God's Arms to people hungry for that kind of love!!

Great to hear from you! Looking forward to hearing more! I'm praying for you continually!

Love and Hugs, Natalie

Anonymous said...

Katy..I love following you because I know exactly where you are. I have a team that will head out to Kigali and then on to Kibuye on the 16th. I am not going this time but we just had a send off for them last night. If you need anything, please let me know as you are over there. We have a huge purpose driven network that covers the entire country...not to mention President Kigami and Rick are close friends- I also have a friend who is working in a hospital for 2 years and is a great contact if you need anything medical- let me know- there is also a wonderful family that I love dearly who speak wonderful english- I love their children- their oldest is in Kigali finishing up school- I just love that place- like a second home to me : ) - God's best

Carol said...

Katy, I'd love to be able to watch you & Melissa with the children. I have no doubt that you're wonderful w/ them. It won't be long before it will be hard to leave each day. You'll grow attached to the kiddos quickly.
I hope you 2 are able to get some sleep soon.
Be safe & have fun sharing the love of God.
We love you & miss you lots - Mom

the_ds said...

Hey Katy, thanks for sharing not only what is going on, but also your heart. This is the first time I have checked your blog, 6/11, but you and Melissa have been daily in our prayers. We will continue to pray for your health, safety and ministry with the children and women. Sounds like you have worked out a good schedule that will reach many people with your lessons and Bible studies. Pace yourself so you don't wear out in the first couple of weeks. Enjoy the blessings and challenges that God has for you to stretch you and grow you up. Know that many people are praying for you. Phil 4:4-7

Love and prayers,

The davidhizars

Mindy Oden said...

Katy,
I am so glad that you and Melissa are well, safe, and getting a little more rest. You both are exactly where God wants you to be and as I read your blog, I can see God directing your steps. I am very interested to hear more on the Bible studies that you are doing with women; especially with the Dorcas Project. What a priceless thing to be teaching and training these women in christian maturity and discipleship! I love you and am praying for you.
Take care,
Mindy