Monday, July 21, 2008

packing up...

So this is most likely my last post from Rwanda! We leave tomorrow afternoon at 1:55pm.

Last Friday, after I posted on here, we went back to the Ligue for Bible study. We talked about spiritual growth and taught them to share the Gospel using Gospel bead bracelets. The group gave us each a gift, of two small traditional Rwandan peace baskets and then they danced for us.

We had our regular Bible study with the women in Remera on Saturday. We did the same lesson (spiritual growth and Gospel bead bracelets). They also presented us with gifts. If you haven't noticed, gifts are a big part of their culture. They always tell us "This is so you cannot forget us." They don't realize that they have been such a huge part of my life that I could NEVER forget them. Saturday afternoon, we went to the market to do a bit of last minute shopping and get some fresh fruit (bananas, avocados, and passion fruit) for our last days here.

Yesterday was a very emotional day. It was our last day to attend church and the last time to see many of our new friends. I had to fight back tears throughout the whole service. At the end, they called us up to 'give a word' and tell the church goodbye. Again, they presented us with a gift from the church. Afterwards, we had a few of the women from our Bible studies stay around to video them talking about the studies. Esron translated for us and the things they said brought tears to my eyes (again). Thank you, for allowing this trip to happen. YOUR generosity has made an eternal difference in the lives of many people here.

We started packing this morning. I feel like we unpacked everything yesterday. As we were packing and deciding what to leave here, our friend who works at the Ligue (whose house we visited the first week for Bible study) was outside watering plants. I called her inside (she doesn't speak ANY English) and gave her a stack of my shirts and some candy and stickers to take to her children. She was SO excited she was about to cry (and Rwandans don't cry). She kept saying "Thank you! Ooh, Merci! Urokosay!" (Thank you in English, French, Kinyarwanda). To me, it was just a stack of old shirts I never wear anymore. To her, it was a brand new wardrobe. She was so sweet and so appreciative. It made me want to give her everything I had. Later, she wrote something in Kinyarwanda on a piece of paper and gave it to me. We had a friend translate it and she said, "Aww. Someone who has written this is very sad that you will be leaving her." I'm sad too. (And trying not to cry as I write this!) We had lunch one last time at the Emerald today and will eat dinner with Esron later tonight.

Here's how you can pray:
-That the seeds that have been planted would GROW
-That we would be comforted today and tomorrow as we prepare to leave
-Safety in traveling home (Also- we have a 1 hour layover in London and it will be VERY tough to get on our plane... PRAY!!)
-Of course, my surgery.

I've really begun to miss my friends and the people who have sent me here. I can't wait to see you all. (This may mean you have to come see me in the hospital or when I'm recovering. I won't be able to get out for a while.) The time has flown by, and every minute has been a gift from God! Again, THANK YOU for being a part of this trip.

Next stop: NAIROBI!!
(I'm not done updating yet!)

Love you and miss you all.
SEE YOU SOON! (I've waited 2 months to say that!)

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Tears come to MY eyes just imagining what you guys are going through, Katy.

Praying for you always! May God's Arms wrap around you snd comfort you both as you say "see you later." And may His Hand bring you both safely back home.

Many, many hugs and all my love! Natalie