Friday, July 18, 2008

'tis bittersweet

So, we're counting down the days until Bush Intercontinental (July 23).
I can't explain my emotions right now because they are so contradictory.
---Part of me wants to stay here, forever, and love on these precious people.
---The other part of me misses my family and friends, who I cannot wait to see again.

ALL of me knows that this trip has been God's plan for my summer and I can only pray that this experience has helped me become more like the person He created me to be. Pray that I will trust God with the next few days, knowing that, just as it was His will for me to come on this trip, it is also His will for me to return.

As always, a brief update:
We had a larger group of youth show up on Tuesday than Monday. We started at 10, teaching the youth (and whoever else showed up) at the church. We taught the Gospel and then had them make Gospel bead bracelets. We let them all make 2 and challenged them to go and share what they had learned. When we came back from our break, they were all very excited as many of them had gone and shared the gospel and given their 2nd bracelet away.

Wednesday was a long day, but it was also one of the best days so far! We talked about "the green bead", spiritual growth. We talked about many things that Christ commands us to do once we believe in Him. After the youth teaching, we had a break until 3. During our break, we went out into the village a little to buy Fantas and mendazi (small fried cakes) to give to the women during Bible study. Before we start our meeting, they sing and pray. While they were singing, they began a 'traditional Rwandan dance' and insisted that Melissa and I learn and join them. It was hilarious. (We had Kezia videotape it and, if you are lucky, you might get to see it when we return... ha.) We were laughing and they were laughing so hard they could barely sing. It was a sweet, sweet time! We made Gospel bead bracelets with them. They were very excited to go and share what they had learned. At the end, we told them we have learned a bit of Rwandan culture and that when you appreciate and honor someone, you give them Fanta and mendazi. They laughed and gladly accepted the snack. Before we left, they gave us gifts they had gotten us. We each got a purse made of banana leaves with a pen and card inside. This group of women has been such a blessing. The love they have for the Lord and for each other has taught me so much!

On Thursday, we went with Kathleen and Bruno (the Canadian Baptist missionaries) to visit a hospital. It was quite far from the city and a pretty long (and beautiful) drive. We went on a tour and got to see all their different units. Of course, my favorite was their Pediatric Malnutrition ward. I don't want to make this too long, but I will say that I know that God had that trip planned for me. As I mentioned earlier in the trip, I have had doubts about studying nutrition... until now. God taught me a lot and I'm going to have to trust Him with how I will use my education in the future... and I am SO excited to see what He will do!!

This morning (Friday), we visited the Dorcas project and helped them work. And by 'work', I'm not kidding. When we got there, they wrapped us up in long skirts and head wraps so that our clothes and heads would not get dirty. Then, they showed us how we would carry buckets of dirt on our heads from one place to another to prepare a place to plant flowers. Then we had to run some errands and now we are about to head back to the Ligue for our last Bible study with Mary's group of ladies.

-Continue to pray for our last days here- for safety and health and for God to work through us, every minute of every day.
-Also, continue to pray for my surgery. It is a week from today and I'm begining to get a little nervous!

I cannot thank you all enough for the emails. I have been so encouraged by them.
I cannot wait to see you all. Love you and miss you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Katy,
What a summer! What an experience!You've seen & done more @ 20 than I could have ever imagined. Thanks for sharing throughout the trip through the blog. You've given us details that would have later been forgotten.
I love you,
Mom

Unknown said...

oops -
I'm writing from Granny's. (didn't realize it would say "margaret said..." :)